What is the UAE Freelance License/Package and its Benefits?
Freelancing is becoming quite popular in the UAE, especially amongst the younger generation, as it provides greater flexibility when it comes to working in the Emirate. To work as a freelancer in the UAE, you need a residence visa and a freelance license/work permit.
What is UAE Freelance License or the Freelance Permit?
- A UAE Freelance License is a permit that allows you to work on your own as a freelancer, a sole practitioner, or an independent contractor in the UAE. It is fully legal and renewable every year.
- The Freelance License enables you to establish yourself as a one-person company, working as an individual, but doing business in your own name, and not a startup company.
- Many entrepreneurs start out freelancing and then upgrade to a company setup once established in the Emirates.
- However, there is a caveat to the freelancing option. You can get the UAE Freelance License only if you are pursuing some selected professional activities approved by the government.
Who Are Eligible To Apply for the UAE Freelance License?
- The UAE Freelance permit is available only for those working in the media, education, or tech/IT sectors.
- The following is a list of top freelancing professions that are permitted to apply for UAE Freelance License:
- Actors, Screenwriters, Editors, Producers, Make-up Artists, and Technicians working in the field of film, TV, and Radio
- Journalism, Photography
- Sales & Marketing
- Advertising, Branding
- Customer Service
- E-Learning, Guest Lecturing, Education Advisor, Training
- Web Development and Designing
- Graphics Designing
- Copywriting, Guest Blogging
- Mobile App Development
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Computer-Aided Design, 3D Modelling
- Language Translation and Interpretation
- Legal Services
What is GoFreelance Package?
- With the increasing popularity of the gig economy, some initiatives have made it easier and more affordable for freelancers to work in Dubai.
- GoFreelance Package is one such initiative introduced by the TECOM Group, in partnership with the Dubai Creative Clusters Authority, to encourage freelancing opportunities. This initiative allows freelancers in the media, education, and tech sectors to easily apply for a Freelance Permit and Freelance Visa.
- Selected free zones issue Freelance permit, and the TECOM Group issues a freelance license in Dubai.
- With the GoFreelance package, the setup costs are much lower than a new business setup cost, allowing more freelancers to enter the market.
- The GoFreelance package allows freelancers to base themselves in the free zone either by renting an office space or using a Flexi-desk option.
- GoFreelance package costs an annual fees of Dh 7500, which includes the Freelancer permit and access to the Tecom Business Center.
- Under the package, UAE residents get a permit from Dubai’s TECOM Group to freelance in the education and media sectors to start.
- The GoFreelance community provides exclusive opportunities to its member freelancers to get new jobs, bid on various projects, and grow their network via its online Marketplace.
What are the Benefits of Having a UAE Freelance License?
- Flexibility: The license provides you the flexibility to work as an independent contractor for multiple companies across the UAE in the specified sectors. You have the flexibility to work anytime from anywhere.
- Lower Setup Costs: The freelance license and visa costs are quite affordable, enabling you to offer your services at much lower prices. Also, as a freelancer, you don’t require any office space, thereby cutting down on operational expenses.
- Self-Sufficiency: You become self-sufficient by working independently, becoming your own boss, and building your own brand.
- Work-Life Balance: Since freelancing does not involve working under any company, the work culture shifts from a regular 9-to-5 job to more flexible working hours, supporting work-life balance.
- Government Support: The Government initiatives and various cost-effective freelance licenses issued by many free zones support the new and popular freelancing trend.
- Legal Standing: The Freelance Permit enables you to have legal support for your job identity and gain credibility amongst your clients.
- Market Test: Many professional entrepreneurs want to test the market before they decide to invest and set up a company in the UAE. So, the Freelance permit gives them an option to test the market first.
Sharjah Media City (Shams) free zone offers full support to aspiring professionals and entrepreneurs in the UAE. If you are looking to set up your business in Shams, contact Shams free zone authorities today! Call 800 (Shams) 74267 or visit www.shams.ae for more information.